Saturday, October 17, 2009

My first SACRE

On 15th October I attended my first SACRE as a guest of Richard Scutt, Humanist Observer at Dorset SACRE since 2004. Richard will retire from SACRE and offered to take me to this meeting.

The 3 hour meeting in Poundbury, Dorset in Southern England was most interesting (more later!) and everyone seemed perfectly friendly to me.

On announcing his retirement, Richard had some kind words spoken to him by several SACRE members, wishing him well in his future activities and thanking him for his work and Humanist talks to school children over the last 5 years.

I told Richard, both before and immediately after the meeting, that before committing myself to replace him as the Humanist Observer, I wanted to do further research on the subject.

I was not at all sure whether I wanted to enter 'the Lions Den' (or as my wife put it, 'The Hornets Nest') of Dorset SACRE.

But subsequently my research indicates that their is some potential to include further Humanist viewpoints in R.E. Search: Asking the Big Questions by "Dorset Agreed Syllabus for Religious Education" last published in April 2005 and due for updating in 2010.

Also I think I can use the opportunity as a Humanist Observer of SACRE, to give children in Dorset the chance to learn more about Humanism and other secular philosophies, as alternatives to religious world-views.

No comments:

Post a Comment